// ' * , ` ' . __________ almost PARADISE

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Shadow mission = authentic mission hijacked by ego

The term “Shadow Mission” feels heavy, like a lump in my throat, like a rock landing with a thunk. Before even the definition, I think each of our own Shadow Missions flash before our eyes, whether we’re willing to admit it to ourselves, let alone anyone else. I know in an instant what mine is. Do you?

The Shadow Mission is the authentic mission hijacked by my ego and my woundedness. If John’s is “talkative boy wins acclaim,” mine is something along the lines of “funny girl eats, drinks, and is merry.”

At my worst, I’m a bad stand-up comic/short order cook/tap dancing monkey who glosses over the realities of life in favor of keeping the party going and keeping the laughs coming. I want life to be a wide-open celebration, each day shimmering and glowing with life and beauty…but ten degrees off from that makes me frantic and shallow and disconnected from pain, my own and anyone else’s. Because I know this about myself, I work hard at, well, working hard. I practice silence and writing and pursue deep conversations, not because those things are natural to me, but because I need them like I need vitamins to keep me healthy.

One of God’s greatest gifts to me is that I have several Mordecai voices in my life. My husband and the men and women in our house church are on to me every time I tiptoe over to that lesser, shallower version of myself. They look me in the eye, and tell me to get back to work, to get back to depth, truth telling, and focus, to get back to life as I was meant to live it. Thank God for them. Who is Mordecai in your life?

What can you do today that will take power from that Shadow Mission? What ways of living will keep you close to God’s dream for your life and increasingly far from the seduction of the Shadow Mission? What conversations could you have even today that could make things right, even if they haven’t been right, inside of you or at your church or in your marriage, for a long time?

What person comes to mind as John talks about the pastor that isn’t here this year? Is there someone in your community whose life is littered with warning signs and red flags? Are you willing to be a voice of honesty in his or her life?

Or are there things that people have been trying to tell you for years that you’ve chosen not to accept? As you scroll through hard conversations you may have dismissed in the moment, are there patterns you’d rather not see, but in the quiet moments, recognize as true? Is there a shadow you’ve been unwilling to face?



more:
http://ryanday.wordpress.com/2007/08/10/session-7-john-ortberg-a-leaders-greatest-fear/
http://ordinary-radical.blogspot.com/2007/08/john-ortberg-leadership-summit-debrief.html
http://www.jonathanhopson.com/?p=134
http://spin.willowcreek.com/c/blogs/leadership/archive/2007/8/11/chris-brooks-responds-to-session-7.aspx


The story of Esther

The king had no vision to die for. His shadow mission was ego driven where everything was about him. He surrounded himself with people who supported him. They appeased the leader.

The greatest challenge of a leader is to find the truth tellers. People who ask questions.

When a leader is presented something that helps his shadow mission, he will not challenge it. No matter how ethical or moral it is/isn’t.

When was the last time you spent in prayer and fasting for your mission?

John’s shadow mission - Self idolatry & winning approval

What’s your shadow mission?

Soloman - Pleasure
Jonah - Escape
Simon in Acts 8 - spectacular ministry

A shadow mission is very closely related to your gifting. A shadow mission is hijacked by my ego & my wounds. And there’s no Jesus in it.

What is the shadow mission of your church?

Who is Mordecai in your life? Who is ready to challenge you when you’re ready to sell yourself short and follow your shadow mission?

Boldness, intelligence, & timing of Esther is incredible.

Haaman’s shadow mission was more.
More wealth, power, applause, honor…more.
Shadow mission - A chronic sense of soul dissatisfaction.
Haaman’s wife played into his shadow mission.

You are where you are for a reason. It may not be as dramatic as Esther’s, but it is eternal. Have you come to grips with your shadow mission?

Who knows, but maybe you are where you are, doing what you are doing, for such a time as this. You need to not only know what your shadow mission is, but let God perform open heart surgery on you. Let God heal you and restore you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home