// ' * , ` ' . __________ almost PARADISE

Friday, September 10, 2010

whoa.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/mad-men-the-suitcase-get-her-to-the-greek

Jessamyn I feel like I understand the aspect of Peggy that is tone-deaf to others' feelings, because I have someone in my life who is like that. She is whip-smart and can be very tender-hearted and sympathetic, but she can also be oblivious, especially when it comes to other people's subtle reactions. Similarly, this person wants marriage and a family in the abstract, but the actual realities of being in a long-term relationship are too much for her. This person and Peggy are frequently baffled by why people don't behave in a more rational manner, even when they themselves don't always act rationally.

Ah, Duck. In one sense, he has great timing - he only tries to woo Peggy away when Don's been beating the crap out of her - but it's just not enough, is it?
September 10, 2010 at 8:40AM EST


"We are all worms, but I do believe I am a glow-worm." -sir winston churchill. ahaha

//

Gotham Goddess At the risk of losing this post...AGAIN, I want to say I rewatched "Out Of Town" (the first episode of last season). Don hooks up with the stewardess and he confesses it is his birthday. She asks to see hie drivers' license and he remarks, "It wouldn't help." It was Dick's birthday. Perhaps nobody knows that birthdate except his family. Not even Anna may have known when Dick was born. He took on Don's birthday and age.
It was a sad scene.
I forgot how poignant it was and I am glad I watched it again. What is so amazing about this show is how rich and consistent the writing is. A throw away line from Betty was, "I just want everything to be perfect." Sums her up totally.
Or Don saying to Sally, "I will always come home and you will always be my girl".
These lines are so much more incredible one year and one season later. It gives these characters a lot more depth and they are so much more sympathetic. Betty especially. She was so open, so hopeful, so blind. Her unravelling makes perfect sense.

Alan- I read several recaps of Mad Men (EW and Salon) and by far, you have always done it better and more thoughtfully than anyone. Even over at AMC.com- they are plagued by Trolls and it is a zoo. I love the fans here and respect your Blog. I hope the bug gets fixed to preserve the amazing insights that are shared here.
September 9, 2010 at 11:33AM EST

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home