// ' * , ` ' . __________ almost PARADISE

Monday, September 15, 2014

That seems to be one of the most consistently funny, recurring character duets. It doesn't get boring and always seems different. Yeah, we try to keep it...that's us, that's our doing. We think about it for a while, you know? We take great joy in trying to come up with a scenario and also the title card at the beginning. "You look like a rabbit" that was a line she threw in that I was not that in to. I thought, "What does that even mean?" and then, she went to go type up the scene and stuck it back in there. And Lutz, who helps us with those every now and then, he liked it. I was like "You know, let's keep it in" at that point, I was like - that's my initial thing, it's one of those nice things coming from a sports background, a team background, where I truly believe that other people can, whether you want to or not, allow you to bring things out of yourself you didn't know were there. It's one of the nice things about a Kristen Wiig, a Sally Shipley or a Lorne Michaels, or a Mick Napier. They see things in you that you don't see in yourself. Sometimes they go different ways to get it out of you, but when it comes out, you're usually, for the most part, thankful. So, Kristen going back and adding that particular line into the scene reminded you of how great it is to work with a team, despite your not understanding it initially? Yeah, she's the real deal. Those characters, I think it's a 50/50 split by all means.
http://www.theapiary.org/the-apiary/2007/12/7/jason-sudeikis-the-ultimate-interview-part-5-what-lies-behin.html
When you write something within that building, does it automatically become the property of NBC? I think so. You've gotta get rid of it. I mean, The Beatles, they wrote so many good songs, and I'm not saying we're The Beatles, but you gotta be able to kill your babies, edit things. The lesson I needed to learn that, believe it or not, I didn't learn during my improv background, was create it and destroy it. Let it exist. You can't try to aim, you just can't. If you try to aim, like I said earlier, it just comes off like you're aiming. You just want to make it. Make what you think is funny and if people respond to it, they respond to it. There's no trick to it. I'd seen David Mamet give a talk at the Goodman Theater in 1998. Me and my buddy Ed Goodman, no relation, went to the theater to watch him speak. People were asking all of these questions, all of these DePaul and Northwestern kids, asking about the plays and whatnot. Then, he sort of hit his breaking point, not in an aggressive way, but in just a sort of matter-of-fact way, Simon Cowell-style. Straight shooting. A student asked, "I wanna be a playwright, do you have any advice?" and he's just like "Look, write your play, get your friends to be in it, find some place to do it. That's all I can tell you. That's all I did."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home