// ' * , ` ' . __________ almost PARADISE

Monday, June 20, 2016

http://www.vulture.com/2016/06/constance-wu-c-v-r.html

That's when my work improved because it wasn't results-oriented. It wasn't like, I heard that this director likes crazy characters, so I’m going to try to make it crazy. I was like, What do you, Constance Wu, envision for the character? What is the special thing you can bring even if it keeps you from getting the part? This is your chance to do it. Let's do it. That way when you don't get the part, they have taken nothing away from you because you got to do what you wanted to do. Even if I did play that crazy person, I might still not have gotten the part because I was too short or whatever, and then I’d feel doubly bad because (a) I didn't get the part, and (b) I did something I didn't want to do in the room in order to get the part, trying to appeal to their vanities instead of appealing to my artistic spirit. That's when I started booking work. The catch-22 is you get employment by focusing on the work, not the employment. That's generating meaning: doing what you want to do so they can't take anything away from you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home