// ' * , ` ' . __________ almost PARADISE

Thursday, September 01, 2016

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/08/25/derek-cianfrance-light-between-oceans-director/

Still, he says, once he’s on the location, he wants even the surest writing to give way to something differently true. “Once I get to the set and start to work with my actors, I’m still disappointed when they say the lines on the page. There’s nothing I hate worse than watching a movie and seeing the script. What was really important to me was this kind of quest for truth everyday we were shooting, this need to find where the story stops and life begins, where acting stops and being begins.”
http://www.signature-reads.com/2016/08/into-the-light-between-oceans-a-qa-with-derek-cianfrance/
DC: My film professor Stan Brakhage showed us “Faces,” and I had never seen a movie like that — it felt like a home movie. And Cassavetes became my hero. In this movie, I tried to make an intimate Cassavetes-type movie but set against a David Lean landscape. There was a moment in the book where she talked about Tom gazing out over the ocean and seeing rocks that had been hammered by the waves for thousands of years, and how once they must have been mountains and now they were reduced to tiny stones in the ocean, and how much time that had taken for that to happen, and he’s holding his daughter’s hands, and he’s realizing how insignificant everything is — but yet, no eternity of time that has ever come before or will come after will mean more to him than that life, than that relationship he has with his daughter. And I relate to that exactly, that’s how I feel with my kids, too. I thought I could make a movie where we were dealing with these moments of small human detail that were seemingly insignificant but to the people who were experiencing them they were momentous. And that led the way to this juxtaposition between this intimacy and scale, between the Cassavetes and the David Lean of it all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home