// ' * , ` ' . __________ almost PARADISE

Sunday, April 08, 2018

https://www.finaldraft.com/learn/final-draft-blog/echo-lake-entertainments-zadoc-angell/

Lee Jessup: What excites you about a writer and makes you want to get in business with them? Zadoc Angell: It’s talent and personality. Particularly in television, you have to be great on the page and great in person. It starts with the page, which is important. You won’t meet with someone until you read a pilot that you love. So the person has to be talented on the page and then when you meet with them they should have an outgoing personality and be social and know how to talk about themselves and tell their life story — so that I walk away certain that this is a person that other people will want to be with, hang out with, and hire down the road. I definitely represented some very introverted writers in my career – a few of them spring to mind – and unfortunately their careers tend to be limited because this is such a social business and ultimately writers hire other writers. So, unless you are making those relationships in television, you are not going to get very far up the ladder before just being talented times out. You really have to have both sides of yourself. One of the tests that I have is that I love asking people their story. Like you did with me asking about where I grew up. At Echo Lake that’s a major part of every writer meeting. We want to hear where you grew up, where you went to college, where your first job was, how you decided to be a writer and chase your dream, I LOVE that stuff and it shows me so much. It shows me how people talk about themselves and their lives. If they are a comedy writer, do they have funny anecdotes and jokes and stories? Are they interested in their own life? There’s nothing worse than talking to someone and asking them where they grew up and where they came from and they don’t even think their own story is interesting. That’s kind of sad. So one of the things I teach in my UCLA Extension class is being able to tell your story and having funny and interesting anecdotes at the ready and telling it in a way that shows passion about your own life. That gives a representative confidence that you’re going to be able to communicate that kind of passion and enthusiasm and energy to showrunners and executives and the people who do the hiring in the room.
https://tvwriter.com/kelly-jo-brick-the-write-path-with-manager-zadoc-angell-part-1/
Writers need to prepare what they want another person to know about themselves. What their key selling points are. Be able to talk about your life story in an interesting way. People will think their own life stories are boring. Not everyone can grow up on a dairy farm and come to Hollywood like I did. I love my story, I love telling it, but I want my clients to love their stories too. Talk about where you’re from and if you are that kid that grew up in Orange County and went to USC and now you work in TV and film, still find a way to make it interesting. Find points in your life story where you maybe took a different path or made an unexpected choice or, if you’re a comedy writer, had something really funny and embarrassing happen to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home