// ' * , ` ' . __________ almost PARADISE

Wednesday, April 25, 2018

https://www.npr.org/2016/06/27/483394694/a-toast-to-the-toast-the-site-that-was-just-for-you-yes-even-you

But the Toast's biggest gift to me was permission to rethink my relationship with a lot of the Western canon. It took a long time to realize that much of the art I was told is good did not anticipate me in the audience. The Toast's satire was medicine for the slight tightness in my chest when I walk into another museum filled with paintings of clothed men and dead-eyed, nude women, or my inability to swallow yet more novels with self-serious male anti-heroes and decorative women (here's looking at you, Jack Kerouac). It's like the old saying: Laughter is the best cure for the nauseating omnipresence of the male gaze. Thanks, the Toast.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2016/07/01/the-toast-has-ended-and-its-fans-including-hillary-clinton-are-feeling-feelings/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.9eb8b27d5a70

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home