// ' * , ` ' . __________ almost PARADISE

Monday, September 24, 2018

http://www.grubstreet.com/2018/01/tamar-adler-grub-street-diet.html
I thawed two lamb shanks last night and salt them this morning without a plan. It starts snowing in early afternoon and a plan crystallizes. I put them in a pot just big enough to fit them and add two cups of chicken broth left from the chicken I poached on Friday. I add water to make up enough liquid to just barely cover the shanks, some thyme sprigs, and a whole unpeeled garlic clove. Once it comes to a boil, I lower it to a bare simmer I remove them from the broth, submit a piece for approval to my son, and then, with him banging a carrot against his high chair, chop a potato, two carrots, a branch of celery, and a head of Napa cabbage. The first three I cook all together at a vigorous simmer directly in the broth. The cabbage I sauté in a lot of olive oil with a small handful of fresh rosemary and lemon zest. When everything is done, I combine it in a little pot and let it sit until just now when, without reheating, because these ingredients taste so good lukewarm, I serve us lamb stew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home