// ' * , ` ' . __________ almost PARADISE

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

"in treatment", a gold mine of little moments

liked this:

Anonymous said...
I'm intrigued by each new character, but I feel as though I'm learning more about Paul than any of them. Every episode reveals more about him. It was good to see him with someone so young, to see the way he led her to reveal more about herself -- through his choice of words (you could almost see him thinking about what to say next), his allowing her to explore his office, but most of all through his silence, those moments when he didn't say a thing -- either because he didn't quite know what to say (so chose to 'first, do no harm') and other times because he was waiting for her to lead the way.

I thought the episode was quite good, the writing and acting seemed right on the mark.
I believed Sophie as a character in a way I didn't quite believe Laura and Alex. I don't mean that I believed the things she said to Paul; she, like Laura and Alex, are not truthful with Paul or with themselves. I mean that she got to me -- she wasn't just a character in a TV show. She was real to me. I thought about her today and worried about her.

This show brings up many, many troubling questions.

A friend who'd had a bad time a situation at her job said to me recently 'Why do people lie?' and I've thought about that question so much. We all do it, often by omission. America is a nation of liars, people reinventing themselves over and over. It's one of the reasons people came here -- to start over. Why would you lie to your therapist? Because you're already lying to yourself and that's a lot of the reason you're in trouble in the first place?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home