// ' * , ` ' . __________ almost PARADISE

Saturday, February 19, 2011

What are we to listen for in our emotions? The answer is, in part: We are to listen for the direction of our heart. The question, What do I feel? is in fact another way of asking, Who am I? What direction am I moving in?

...

The heart's movement can be callibrated and assessed in light of many different criteria, but all evaluations eventually boil down to this: Am I moving toward God or away from Him? Am I turning toward God with awe and gratitude, or away from Him toward false gods of my own making?

...

Emotions are like messengers from the front lines of the battle zone. Our tendency is to kill the messenger. But if we listen carefully, we will learn how to fight the war successfully.

allender & longman, emotions: the cry of the soul (1994), p. 25, 26

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home