// ' * , ` ' . __________ almost PARADISE

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

http://www.vulture.com/2016/07/samantha-bee-full-frontal-republican-democratic-national-convention.html

She ended up sending three producers out to get interviews instead, which she planned to then cut together into a story. It’s a different process than what she used to do at The Daily Show, where the correspondents would go into each convention with “a point of view and definitely stick to the point of view. Here, we’re letting the material dictate. Which is harder to do, actually.” She’s appreciative of the pace of a weekly show, and the time it affords them to incorporate more "nuance" into the show. To me, it sounded like the more female approach, and Bee agreed. “Yeah. We’re literally gathering. We’re literally female gatherers of all of this information and then we can concoct a delicious dinner that the men eat first. And then we just come in after and we eat the scraps and then we can clean up.” Her description of taking time to gather reminded me of some of the struggles I’ve had running New Girl as a first-time female showrunner. “I like to have consensus,” she said. “I like to hear other people’s opinions. I’ll change my mind the day after.” This approach, she admitted, “drives people fucking crazy.” It’s true — I’ve found that any hint of indecisiveness can scare people, especially coming from a woman. It takes time to prove that being thoughtful is not the same as being indecisive. “I think that maybe at the beginning, people thought that I was dithering,” Bee said. “You know what I mean? You seem like you’re dithering, when it’s really wrestling — just tossing things around a little bit.” I did know what she meant. My first week as a showrunner, I lost my voice, and a doctor took one look at my throat and asked: “Have you been drinking a lot of coffee and/or trying to sound authoritative?” At first, Bee felt that she had to change her personality to fit her new job. “There have been a lot of hot showers that I’ve taken where I’ve been like, ‘I should speak more firmly. Like in a meeting. I wonder if everyone would appreciate it if I just made up my mind right away about something?’” But after a while she realized that would be a mistake. “It’s so counterintuitive,” she told me. “Being thoughtful about things is actually really important. Everyone gets used to it. It just takes a minute.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home