// ' * , ` ' . __________ almost PARADISE

Monday, May 16, 2005

Stare down at my finger where the ring used to be
There's nothing there now, just a memory
Of a love I took for granted and a love I left behind
Oh how I wish you were mine... again

I remember that night, when I slipped away
into the shadows and I ran toward my disgrace
I remember the sadness in your eyes
I remember every tear that you cried
As I gave you back the ring of your bride
And I turned to walk away

And you said, "Oh my bride, haven't I given you a good life?
So would you let me just hold you for a while
Don't you know I'll always love you
Don't you know I'll always wait for you, to come back"

I stare into the mirror with empty eyes
At a face he would not recognize
Lined with adultery and shame
The guilt that weighs heavy on my frame
It's two years too late to go back now
But somewhere he says,

"Oh my bride, haven't I given you a good life?
So would you let me just hold you for a while
Don't you know I'll always love you
Don't you know I'll always wait for you, to come back"


I took a taxi to your house
And I stumbled to the door
Before I had a chance to knock you opened
And you picked me up off the floor
Picked me up off the floor

"Here you are, my lost bride
I give you it all, I'd give you my life
So take my love and take your ring
I'll hold your heart if you stay with me
If you stay with me"


And you said,
"Oh my bride, welcome home to these arms of mine
So would you let me just hold you for awhile
Don't you know I'll always love you
Don't you know I'll always wait for you"


caroline cobb, "hosea's bride."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home